1. Focus on your potential instead of your limitations.
2. Determine to know the truth about yourself.
3. Distinguish between who you are and what you do.
4. Find something you like to do and do well, then do it over and over.
5. Replace self-criticism with regular, positive self-talk.
6. Replace fear of failure with clear pictures of yourself functioning successfully and happily.
7. Dare to be a little eccentric.
8. Make the best possible peace with your parents.
9. Determine to integrate the body and spirit.
10. Determine to live above neurotic guilt.
11. Cultivate people who help you grow.
12. Refuse to allow rejection to keep you from taking the initiative with people.
There are so many things that can provide us with peace. Next time you take
a shower or a bath, I suggest you hold your big toes in mindfulness. We pay
attention to everything except our toes. When we hold our toes in mindfulness
and smile at them, we will find that our bodies have been very kind to us. We know
that any cell in our toes can turn cancerous, but our toes have been behaving
very well, avoiding that kind of problem. Yet, we have not been nice to them
at all. These kinds of practices can bring us happiness.
Thich Nhat Hanh